The Old Methodist Chapel
The first Wesleyan Chapel in Warmington was built in Church Street in 1808 at a cost of £150. The property is now two dwellings. The first Methodist Minister was appointed in 1827 and the first baptism conducted was of Eliza, daughter of Valentine and Elizabeth Brudenell by the Rev J Brown on 19 July 1840.
The land for the current Chapel, now a private home, was purchased in 1878 for £75 from John Thomas Whitehead of Blaby. The current building, completed in 1881, is constructed from Warmington red bricks that were kilned in the village. The building has been described as a good example of late 19th century simplicity.
There were 15 founding fathers, four of which lived in Warmington; Samual Hayes, James Hayes, William Wade and William Martin.
In 1883, George Baker purchased and installed a pedal tracker organ from Lowick Church that had been built in 1865 by Forster and Andrews of Hull.
Up to 1942 the Chapel operated a system of ‘Seats Rent’. A family would reserve a seat in the Chapel by paying annual rent. It was used as a method of raising funds for the upkeep of the Chapel. In 1906 fourteen families rented 45 seats at a total annual cost of £2 and 5 shillings.